The ability to think critically is one of the most important skills marketers need to develop in today’s digital world. Consequently, marketers can make smart decisions backed by facts and logical arguments, leading to better company performance and success. Additionally, professional marketers must be capable of making and implementing decisions quickly. Learning to distinguish intelligence from critical thinking is vital to your marketing team’s success.
Moreover, critical thinking can take many forms in marketing, such as decision-making, content and brand auditing, prioritization, troubleshooting, case analysis, correlation, and data interpretation. Marketers employ critical thinking strategically in several ways, like:
- Creative strategies: Critical thinkers can use creative strategies to look for creative messages that they want people to see.
- Problem-solving and decision-making: Critical thinking helps marketers develop their problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Customer engagement: Critical thinkers are sure about the reasoning behind their decisions, allowing them to communicate with employees clearly. This level of communication enhances employee engagement.
- Dealing with difficult customers: Critical thinking skills are essential for dealing with difficult customers because they help your team make informed decisions while managing stressful situations.
Would you consider critical thinking to be one of your strengths? Why do you need it? Do you enjoy analyzing situations, thinking outside the box from different perspectives, and making informed decisions through thoughtful consideration?
Furthermore, the ability to evaluate the credibility and accuracy of information, ask good questions about it, and act based on its importance to success is essential in critical thinking. An interesting article in HBR about how to develop critical thinking mentioned three elements. It requires the ability to recognize weakness in other arguments, a love for good evidence, and a willingness to reflect on your own perspectives, beliefs, and values.
Developing critical thinking takes practice, openness, and a willingness to challenge your assumptions. Incorporating these strategies into your daily routine will contribute to the development of robust critical thinking skills over time.
Examples of Critical Thinking
Certainly, the ability to critically analyze marketing campaigns is crucial to developing successful campaigns that resonate with your target audience and stand out from the competition. Further, marketers can drive business success by analyzing data, identifying market gaps, and generating creative ideas. To illustrate, here are some examples:
- The “Share a Coke” campaign by Coca-Cola is a great example of successful marketing through critical thinking—analyzing customer data to personalize products with popular names, fostering social media sharing, and a powerful call to action to engage customers and create a sense of community around the brand and achieving a 2.5% sales increase in the US, and winning prestigious awards, demonstrating how critical thinking can drive innovative and effective marketing strategies that resonate with customers and drive sales.
- Dove’s “Real Beauty” campaign showcases critical thinking in challenging beauty norms. Featuring diverse women, the campaign recognized shifting beauty perceptions, prioritizing authenticity, and relatability. Dove’s marketing team decided to break away from the industry norm of using airbrushed models, Dove celebrated natural beauty, resonating widely, fostering brand loyalty, and setting a new standard for inclusive marketing. Dove challenged beauty norms, resonating with consumers, fostering loyalty, and redefining inclusive marketing, setting a new industry standard.
Effective Critical Thinking
Moreover, many articles suggest different habits to help improve your critical thinking—tailor them to your style and practice consistently. Cultivate keen observation, probing questions, deep reflection and analysis, creative synthesis, and decisive judgment for optimal results.
“In the words of Zig Ziglar, ‘It’s Attitude, Not Aptitude, Which Determines Altitude.’ This powerful statement highlights the importance of mindset over natural abilities. This quote encourages critical thinking, prompting reflection on attitudes, and mindsets and emphasizing their impact on success and growth.
To sum up, being good at critical thinking is like a superpower for achieving success. It helps make smart decisions, boost company performance, and handle the challenges of the digital age. Whether it’s creative ideas, problem-solving, talking with customers, or dealing with tough situations, critical thinking is the key to clarity, good communication, and engaged employees. Succeed in marketing by practicing, embracing new ideas, and questioning the status quo—it’s the key to success in this dynamic field. Therefore, it is not just a valuable skill; it’s a cornerstone for success in today’s digital age. Marketers can enhance decision-making, customer engagement, and problem-solving in the dynamic and competitive field of marketing.
Global Diversity Awareness Month celebrates the values, contributions, and diversity of cultures and communities around the world. Our AMADC chapter diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) committee in October 2020 stated that every October, Global Diversity Awareness Month is a reminder of the positive impact a diverse culture of people can have on society as a whole. The month’s focus is an opportunity to highlight AMADC’s own commitment to diversity. Thanks to the DEI team, leadership support, and partners we made strides to develop a voice, presence, and awareness.
Several years later, AMADC is still committed to integrating inclusivity into every aspect of the organization-from our leadership to our programming, policies, and practices. This month we would like to share our revived efforts to support the marketing community.
Our new board member of DEI, Veronica Holmes Purvis, stressed that “we want to keep DEI at the forefront by providing a support system year-round for our community by highlighting regular DEI resources, practices, and having ongoing conversations that will aid and reflect our members.” I aim for us to be inclusive and unified in one AMADC. Our strategy will be to prioritize codifying resources for continuity; creating more content; collaborating with other organizations; and communicating efforts more widely. Please join our movement to drive these strategies.
Specific strategic objectives will be to:
- Improve our AMADC DEI omni channel presence and information to enhance the experience of our members across our platforms.
- Increase our overall AMADC DEI content, messaging, and programming to engage more constituents.
- Collaborate more internally (with AMADC committees; AMA national board) and externally with potential organizations (like HBCUs and HSIs) to expand the chapter’s resources and reach.
- Create more online and virtual DEI engagement opportunities with the marketing community.
AMA partnered with The Diversity Movement to provide learning opportunities for our community. AMADC will strive to share these resources regionally to extend the reach of these vital resources which are mostly free for members. The featured resource this month is the Global Diversity Awareness Month Guide for some ideas on how to create an authentic celebration of diversity at your organization.
October month-long observances include:
Get Involved and if you have any questions, please reach out to our VP of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI), Veronica Purvis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NUESTROS SOCIOS DE AMADC ESTAN CONECTADOS
AMADC actúa como el centro de educación local destacada, programas y oportunidades de reuniones social para mercadólogos en la región de DC.
Como socio de AMADC, tendrás acceso a los recursos que necesitas para acelerar el desarrollo profesional y el crecimiento empresarial, así como numerosos beneficios exclusivos para socios.
DESARROLLO PROFESIONAL Y CONEXIÓN EN RED
Aunque ser socio de una organización nacional como AMA tiene sus ventajas, entendemos que el verdadero valor reside en la capacidad de conectarse con profesionales de ideas afines en el área metropolitana de DC. Es por eso que AMADC te ofrece beneficios adicionales a nivel local, que incluyen:
- Oportunidad de ser voluntario con AMADC y participar más activamente en la comunidad de marketing de DC.
- Descuentos en las tarifas de entrada a los encuentros mensuales de reuniones social (se requiere preinscripción).
- Ahorros significativos para socios en todos los eventos de AMADC.
- Programas de desarrollo profesional para ampliar habilidades y carreras en marketing y obtener créditos para los AMA PCM CEUs.
ACCESO AL PORTAL DE CONOCIMIENTO DE AMA
- Contenido exclusivo para socios a través de ama.org
- Acceso a documentos técnicos específicos de la industria y disciplina
- Acceso a publicaciones específicas de la industria y disciplina
- Webcasts y podcasts exclusivos para socios
- Boletines electrónicos de AMA
- Kit de herramientas para mercadólogos de AMA
RECURSOS EXCLUSIVOS PARA LA CARRERA Y/O CERTIFICACIÓN
- Accede al Centro de Recursos de Carrera en ama.org, donde puedes encontrar cientos de ofertas de trabajo en marketing, consejos y estrategias para tu carrera, pautas para entrevistas y currículums, un panel de “consulta al experto”, y más.
- $20 de descuento en el programa de Mercadólogo Certificado Profesional (PCM) (¡solo en AMADC!)
CONFERENCIAS, CAPACITACIONES Y/O PUBLICACIONES DE AMA
- Descuentos significativos en todos los eventos nacionales de AMA, incluyendo conferencias y Series de Capacitación.
- Una suscripción a “Marketing News”.
- Una suscripción a otra revista o periódico especializado publicado por AMA de tu elección.
TIPOS DE AFILIACIÓN
Afiliación de Organización Nacional: con tu afiliación, recibirás una introducción a la AMA Nacional – visita otros capítulos de AMA alrededor del país, accede a la riqueza de recursos en línea que ponen a tu alcance y regístrate en webinars gratuitos con gurús del marketing de todo el país – ¡las posibilidades son infinitas! También obtendrás una suscripción a la revista mensual de AMA, la cual presenta tendencias innovadoras de marketing, mejores prácticas y testimonios de otros profesionales de todo el país.
¡La afiliación definitivamente tiene sus recompensas cuando te unes a AMADC! ¡Únete a nosotros y comienza tu viaje!
¿NO SABES POR DÓNDE EMPEZAR?
En AMA encontrarás varias opciones de afiliación. Elige la que se adapte a tu trayectoria profesional en marketing.
Los mercadólogos están aquí para ayudarte con las herramientas y el conocimiento que necesitas para liderar tu trayectoria profesional, avanzar y tener éxito.
ESTUDIANTES DE PREGRADO
($29 facturados anualmente)
Para estudiantes de pregrado y posgrado que no se encuentren actualmente en un puesto profesional de tiempo completo. Limitado a 5 años.
PROFESIONALES O ACADÉMICOS
$12.42/mes ($149 facturados anualmente)
Para todas las personas que trabajan en el campo del marketing.
AFILIACIÓN DE GRUPO
$9.92/mes por persona ($119 por persona facturados anualmente)
Llama al (800) AMA-1150 para registrar tu grupo.
Para grupos de 3 o más individuos de la misma organización que residan en Estados Unidos y/o Canadá.
¡Te esperamos! ¡Conéctate con AMADC hoy!
Artificial Intelligence (AI) allied with Emotional Intelligence (EI) can Boost your Future Marketing Strategy. Marketers know the importance of connecting with their audience is crucial to every touch point and success in any campaign. Being able to create this authentic relationship is an art and developing it is a mastery. Integrating AI and EI can create more authentic and personalized marketing campaigns. By leveraging AI’s analytical capabilities and EI’s emotional intelligence, brands can create a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Understanding Emotional Intelligence EI
Even though EI has appeared for decades, it was Daniel Goleman who popularized it with his book “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ”, in which he applied the mixed model for how you manage yourself and your relationships with others. Thus, here are their components:
- Social Skills
Integrating Artificial Intelligence AI
Emotional Intelligence and the ability to manage emotions help you build stronger relationships and succeed in your professional and personal life. Exploring emotions is a marketing strategy and AI can help develop personalization for your customers and prospects by providing clear expectations and clear brand messages. When you focus on emotional intelligence (EI) in your marketing, you can retain more customers because you connect humans with your brand in a more authentic way and make better decisions.
Benefits of Integrating emotional intelligence and AI in marketing strategies
- Improved emotional engagement: The use of AI and emotional intelligence can improve the emotional engagement of customers, making them feel more connected to the business and improving business performance.
- Authentic brand building: Mastering emotional intelligence can help pay attention to things like brand tone and audience engagement, leading to authentic brand building and meaningful connections.
- Boosted relatability: AI-infused PR strategies can add social awareness to marketing, boosting relatability and making PR teams more aware of their audience.
- Crafting powerful campaigns: Integrating AI with emotional data can significantly enhance marketing strategies, allowing for a deeper, more nuanced understanding of the audience and creating powerful campaigns.
- Understanding the audience: The first step in incorporating emotional intelligence into digital marketing strategies is understanding the audience, which can help tailor marketing efforts to their needs and preferences.
AI Marketing Tools for content such as Copy. Ai, ChatGPT, WordHero, and CopyAssistant, among many more, allow you to focus on strategy and creation and to master empathy. Marketers can improve EI skills by taking advantage of AI tools in emotional detection and natural language processing such as Receptiviti and Afectiva, among others. Recognizing our interactions with our customers and our teams can boost our communications and our sales. In an era where privacy is a luxury or no longer exists, we must establish boundaries where humans feel understood and not violated because empathy is the framework of ethics.
Communities can tremendously benefit from AI, which is a powerful tool and now the use of AI marketing tools is needed. However, it is important to note that AI is an additional tool, but not our main resource, and should be used with caution. When applying this resource, it must be considered that many of these models collect their data until they are trained such as the case of ChatGPT only has access to the information until September 2021.
The recent buzz around AI has caught everyone’s attention. As humans and AI continue to evolve, the only thing that sets humans apart from AI is our mindset – our ability to generate rational thoughts even with limited data. While AI can automate repetitive tasks and optimize marketing strategies, marketing is a creative and complex field that requires human judgment and creativity. Are you ready to improve EI through AI tools in your marketing journeys?
If there are topics you would like for us to cover in our AMADC Marketing blog, please email the team at email@example.com and we will be happy to write about it.
The 2023 Comcast Advertising Report was designed to help simplify the complexity that buyers and sellers are facing today as TV viewing continues to shift.
This second annual report analyzes data insights across Comcast Advertising; in addition to data from Effectv, it includes platform insights from FreeWheel, Comcast’s advertising technology platform, to offer a unique perspective into how viewers are viewing, how buyers are buying, and how sellers are selling TV advertising on all screens.
The report offers a look at the TV advertising industry from all sides – and delivers actionable advice and predictions for modern advertisers about how to optimize reach, optimize connection, and optimize results.
“In our industry, the only constant is change. But with the right insights—you can be ready for what’s next” – James Rooke, President, Comcast Advertising